Friday, September 23, 2011

John Hixson Uses BSD

1. Who are you and what do you do? 

I am John Hixson and I work for iXsystems. I mostly work on FreeNAS these days but occasionally at FreeBSD if necessary.


2. What hardware are you using?

Most of my work is done on a Lenovo Thinkpad T410. I have a plethora of old hardware of various architectures that I will pull out to test and try things on. 


3. What OS are you running on your main desktop/laptop? 

I am currently running FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT.


4. What software do you use the most?

I use fluxbox for my window manager. My desktop is usually just filled with Eterm's. On a daily basis I use Eterm, vi, firefox, mutt, BitchX and pianobar. That's about it.


5.What hardware is your main system on?

My main system is my Lenovo laptop. It has 4GB of ram, an Intel i7 processor and NVidia NVS 3100M video card.


6. What is your dream setup?

My "dream" setup is to have a FreeBSD laptop that works like a Apple laptop. You know, suspend and resume, long battery life, etc. Then we can grab all the FreeBSD folks you see everywhere with Apple laptops back. Muhahahha!


7. Care to share a screenshot of your desktop?

1 comment:

  1. Using the T410 s well and wanted to try out BSD with only one concern :

    - is wireless working out of the box?

    If yes, with network working, anything else can be solved :D

    ReplyDelete