Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dru Lavigne Uses BSD

1. Who are you and what do you do?

My name is Dru Lavigne. Currently I'm the Community Manager for the PC-BSD Project. I tend to spend most of my working day beta testing and writing documentation for the PC-BSD and FreeNAS projects.


2. What hardware are you using?

On a daily basis, quite a bit. Aside from my main desktop, I'm currently using:

* a 64-bit Acer Aspire dual booting Windows 7 and whatever desktop of PC-BSD's latest snapshot I'm currently testing; this system tends to be reinstalled several dozen times in a week

* 2 or 3 32-bit Thinkpads from the T-series that I use for testing various operating systems; they tend to get reinstalled several thousand times over their lifetime

* a Mac Mini running Lion that is used for testing purposes

* a Titan Mini running the latest snapshot of FreeNAS 8 which is used for testing purposes

* an older HP mini-server running FreeBSD 8.2 which is used for storing backups

* a bunch of networking equipment, a KVM switch, and some adapters so that the headless systems can be viewed on a 32" TV



3. What OS are you running on your main desktop/laptop?

My main desktop is a ThinkPad Edge dual booting Windows 7 and a heavily customized version of PC-BSD 8.2. 99% of the time I'm booted into PC-BSD but occasionally boot into Windows to test something or grab a screenshot for documentation.


4. What software do you use the most?

On a daily basis: Firefox, pidgin, skype, OpenOffice, VirtualBox, gimp, Calibre, vi, Okular, and ksnapshot.


5.What hardware is your main system on?

ThinkPad Edge. I've been using ThinkPads as my main system since 2004 and have a nice collection of semi-retired systems that get called upon when I need another testing system in my network.


6. What is your dream setup?

A rack with everything neatly tied together instead of scattered about my main working area.


7. Care to share a screenshot of your desktop?

1 comment:

  1. Drus books and articles is one of the best
    Fun to hear about her computer habits

    ReplyDelete